Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Glimpse Ahead?


Today, I gave a 39 year-old woman general anesthesia for dilatation and curettage after she miscarried at 8 weeks of pregnancy. She had been married for 3 years, this was her second miscarriage and she had no living children. She was understandably depressed and was in tears. I calmed her down the best I could but being the selfish human being that I am, I couldn't help but wonder if that could be me in 12 years. Am I letting the days pass me by not actively trying to have a family of my own, until it's too late?
How do you even "actively" pursue that?
Do I even really want kids, or is it more of a social obligation in my community?
What sort of mother will I be?
Will I ever even fall in love and find a reciprocation of those feelings are am I doomed to be "forever alone"?
Questions, questions....big syringe, small syringe. Sleep tight, everything will hopefully, turn out for the best for everyone. Even if they don't really know what that is, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment